From David Maister’s informative blog, Perspective on Careers …
- The cold, hard, truth is that you’ve got to look after yourself.
- You can’t assume that anyone is really looking out for your best interests (in spite of what they may say.)
- There may be a human resources department in your firm, managers, coaches and a mentoring system. But don’t get fooled. Your career is up to you and you alone.
- No one will tell you what experience you should be obtaining, let alone help you get it.
- If you want a specific experience, ask for it.
- Better yet, just go grab it.
- Do not expect that you will be promoted because you deserve it – it is unlikely that anyone is really keeping track.
- If you want to be promoted, ask to be promoted.
- Generally, things do not come to those who do not ask for them.
- None of this means you should be rude, disrespectful to others, or fail to be a team player. It just means don’t be naïve.
- In spite of what they may say, it’s up to you. You’re on your own, kid.
- Manage your own career. No one else will.