From a post titled Get Ready for Promotion – Showing what you can do . Communicate your desire. Here are some steps you can take to make your wishes known:
- Identify a role or position toward which you want to work.
- Using your knowledge of the organization, find out what experience and skills are needed to get that job.
- Work with your boss to set performance objectives so that you can achieve the necessary skills and experience.
- Network with people in the company. Let as many people as appropriate know what type of role interests you. Seek advice on how to prepare for that role.
- Ask for the promotion when it becomes available. If you aren’t ready yet, use this as an opportunity to develop the skills you need.